The princess and the dragon

The story of  the princess and a different  dragon



She knew she was going to die that day.

"But then why are you going to fight? Let me go and nothing will happen to you?"


She knew she would not persuade them.

"They will never forgive me for having taken you awey.


..Nor could her confront them.

My father's army will find us sooner or later.


"They never liked me. the first time I showed up in the village market everyone ran away. I just wanted not to be alone."

The poor ploughmen and their families had never seen someone like her.


Her head was big and. Her arms muscular and powerful. Her skin was rough but bright. Her eyes, two small fireballs. Her mouth a tulip.

My people were scared. They don’t understand. You look so different from us.“


"And so I deserve to be despised and rejected."

She was the tenderest creature I had ever met. The most delicate. The most innocent. The most gullible.


I just want you to understand that they reacted that way because they don't know you."

And they wouldn't have ever dared to get to know her. the people were only interested in their simple chore and the gossip about my would be husband. They contented themselves working everyday from dawn to dusk and the talk the Sunday market after the sermon.


"The day I saw you in the garden you weren't scared.  You watched me rise and flow like the wind."

She was right I was fascinated by her appearance: the shiny colour of her skin. the power of her sparkling eyes. her powerful arms, her graceful movements, her gentle manners.


"Would you have accepted me? Even spending the evening by the lake, watching toad draw ripples in the water, listening to the birds? Hearing about my dreams? Telling me about your wishes?"

I could not explain why she seemed so reliable to me. I felt safe and happy in her company. I didn't miss the castle or the court, nor my dresses or the full table I was used to sit at.


"Then why did you take me with you?"

When she proposed eloping, I didn't hesitate. I wanted to see those mountains she talked about. I could only think about the vast prairies full of colourful animals.


"when I tried to approach you, your father's soldiers shot rocks and threw their spears at me."

She looked so magnificent and bright with her dark armour and her long sword.


"They had orders not to allow anyone approach me."

I had to choose my husband out of the long list of pretenders my father was interested in allying with for the sake of peace and our people's comfort.


"You See? You were more of a prisoner there. You are not a prisoner here. You can leave any time."

And that was my fate, even after my father chose a husband for me, I would hardly go to a different golden cage.


"Then go away. Why do you sentence yourself? Go away! Get Somewhere else! We can't keep escaping the rest of our lives and they will kill you when they find us."

I could only have the courage to say the words but never the determination to walk away.


"Could I live without the music of your voice every morning? Without your face as white as the moon? Without the shining of your hair? Without your eyes as clear as the sky looking at me when I dance for you?"

When I heard the horse's hooves rolling the ground, I couldn't utter a word.

I didn't want her to die for me, however I couldn't stand the idea of watching her leave.

She looked into my eyes and a faint smile arched her broad lips. Then she went out of the cave where we had spent the night, looking down, disarmed.

Only one soldier had accepted to cross the dangerous rivers, ride after us along the narrow ways and paths over the mountains. The flashes of the sun on his bright armour dazzled me. I heard a scream when the spear thudded on her chest; but it wasn’t hers.

When I could open my eyes, the soldier was by her side, astonished, looking at her beautiful red lips and her big eyes closing. His fist on the wound, trying to stop the blood springing out resembled a rose.

Edgar Borgen

Happy Saint George Day!!





Leave your comment

Comments

  1. Happy Saint George day, also for you Edgar!👸🏻🐲🤴🏻📚🌹.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for writing. I shall contact you soon!